Sunday, October 28, 2012

Snippets of Thoughts

Sadly, I haven't written much lately. Nothing lengthy, anyway. This last week for me has been somewhat busy and just a tad stressful. Being a writer, my outlet for my emotions (my escape from reality) is writing. I don't need to write some long or short story in order to remain balanced in life, sometimes the smallest writings can accomplish just that. This is what happened over this last week. I didn't succeed in writing much on the stories I'm working on, but I did manage to jot down a few 'stanzas' as they came into my head. I figured, for this week's blog post, I'd share these 'stanzas' with you.

Each 'stanza' stands alone, though a few were meant to be part of a longer poem, and are inspired by different things that happened throughout my week. Some seem dark, others fairly light, but all were thoughts inspired by classes, work, or friends...and the conversations/events that happened with each.

Stanza 1: Day In, Day Out (Inspired by the seemingly unending cycle of sleep, school, work, that I've gotten into) 

Day in,

Day out,
The same old story,
The same old path,
She wants to scream,
She wants to shout,
Day in,
Day out.

Stanza 2: Fading Life (Inspired by a line from Henry Longfellow's poem A Psalm Of life)

Weather changes,
Colors fade,
The world keeps spinning,
We end up in graves.

Stanza 3: Heavenly Matter (Inspired by a stanza from Henry Longfellow's poem A Psalm of Life)

One day we shall return to dust,
For our bodies are made of that stuff,
But our souls are made of heavenly matter,
And they shall live on forever.

Stanza 4: Missed by a Stranger (Inspired by when a friend of mine told me that her mom missed me...and I have never even met her mom, only heard of her)

To be missed by a stranger,
It adds value to your life.
It makes you wonder,
What you did to be so recognized.

Stanza 5: Cafeteria (Inspired by the hurried atmosphere at my work this weekend, and originally written for a Creative Writing assignment)  

People rush from one station to the next,

Plates are stacked high and steps careful on slippery floors,
They're dressed to impress in black hats and coats,
A commotion is heard in the back of the cafeteria,
Bang! Crash! Splat! Dishes and food fly everywhere.

Stanza 6: Red (Inspired by the autumn weather and my desire to write a senses poem)

Red...

Tastes like freshly picked cherries,
Feels like smooth silk,
Smells like a dozen roses,
Looks like the perfect shade of lipstick,
Sounds like the crunching of autumn leaves.

Stanza 7: What is This Place? (Inspired by...I'm not really sure...it just sort of popped in my head when I sat down to write)

What is this place?

Where am I?
Cold stone walls and carpeted floor.
Whispered voices and wooden furniture galore.

Stanza 8, 9, & 10: Lost Sanity (Inspired by how I felt yesterday, when I finally had time to slow down for a bit) 

I've lost my mind,

I'm not sure where it's gone,
I don't know where it's at,
I'm sure it was here yesterday,
Or was it a day before that?

Is it possible I've misplaced it?
Is it possible I drove it away?
Has someone come and stolen it?
Has someone whisked it away?

Has it hidden among my books?
Has it slipped beneath the papers on my desk?
Has it found its way into my printer?
Has it taken a dive into the trash can?
Or did I leave it in Campus Center?

(Campus Center is where the cafeteria is located on the university campus I live on...it's also where I work) 



   

No comments:

Post a Comment