Sunday, April 14, 2013

Soliloquy

The following is a poem I wrote as assignment for my Introduction to Literature class. The assignment was for each student to write a poem, turn them in, and then explicate (write a paper about) another student's. Soliloquy is my poem for the assignment  I did mean for the title of the poem to be important to the actual poem, but you can understand what's going on without looking up what the title means.

For those of you that don't know, and are wondering, Soliloquy is an art of writing that normally appears in dramas. It is a section of lines -words -that the speaker/writer is saying to him or herself. To put it simply, a soliloquy is a letter to (or a conversation with) one's self.

Without further ado, my poem...

Soliloquy 


I want to write something sunny,
Something bright and full of delight,
But the world keeps spinning faster;
It keeps spinning into the night.

How do I write of butterflies
When all I see are moths?
How do I write of victory
When all I see are sloths?

Looking for the silver lining
Is easier said than done.
They say keep moving forward,
But life weighs a ton.

Doors keep getting closed,
And their keys keep getting lost,
And this just makes me wonder,
What would giving up cost?

My mind tells me it’s not worth it,
My heart declares that isn’t so,
And my soul just keeps on screaming;
It keeps screaming Go! Go! Go!

I’ve tied a knot around my wrist
To remind me of my goal.
I’ve changed all my radio stations
So they sing the songs of the soul.

How could I live with myself
Upon giving up a dream?
How could I think of backing down
When things aren’t what they seem?

So I’ll just keep on going,
Keep looking towards the sun,
For when all of this is over,
I can rejoice that I’ve won my run.

No comments:

Post a Comment